You can surely never tell the effect as it depends on the potent, type of poison and how much of the poison the animal consumed. But even a little poison is enough to cause, illness, sever damage and death.
Rodenticides are typically non-specific pest control chemicals made and sold for the purpose of killing rodents. Some rodenticides are lethal after one exposure while others require more than one. There are four common active ingredients in mouse and rat poisons: long-acting anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin, and phosphide rodenticides. Each has a totally different mechanism of action of poisoning, and not all are treated with Vitamin K1.
These four chemicals will cause your dogs organs to fail. They damage the intestine, liver, lungs etc. Causing sometimes slow or quick death if left untreated. If your Dog swallows rat poison he/she will definitely begin to become docile. The dogs eyes may look dry and may begin to lack oxygen. If the dog vomits you may notice blood in the vomit. The dog may also experience seizures. This happens in severe cases of poison.
What You Can Do
- First thing you should do if you see your dog eat poison is to try induce vomiting. Vomiting will allow the ingested poison to be expelled from the dogs system. You can do this by using table grade hydrogen peroxide. A simple hydrogen peroxide solution of one teaspoon per five pounds of body weight with no more than three teaspoons given at once. This method should only be used if the toxin has been ingested in the previous two hours. One note before you try to induce vomiting. If your dog is having seizures or short of breath, do not induce vomiting.
- Take your dog to the Vet to have the animal properly diagnosed.