The Tibetan Mastiff Biological Facts
- Life expectancy: 12 – 15 years
- Place of origin: Tibet, Himalayas
- Height: Male: 66–76 cm, Female: 61–71 cm
- Weight: Male: 45–73 kg, Female: 34–54 kg
- Temperament: Stubborn, Tenacious, Aloof, Intelligent, Strong Willed, Protective
The Tibetan Mastiff is quiet yet protective breed. It is watchful over its family and that even includes other pets. He has an independent nature with a determined and territorial temperament.
Tibetan Mastif Healthcare
The Tibetan Mastiff has some health conditions that can be a concern. They include hip and elbow dysplasia, hypothyroidism, persistent pupillary membranes (an eye disorder), and canine-inherited demyelinative neuropathy.
Not all of these conditions are detectable in a growing puppy, and it can be hard to predict whether an animal will be free of these maladies, which is why you must find a reputable breeder who is committed to breeding the healthiest animals possible. They should be able to produce independent certification that the parents of the dog (and grandparents, etc.) have been screened for these defects and deemed healthy for breeding. That’s where health registries come in.
Tibetan Mastiff Expensive Dog Breed
Tibetan mastiff are from Himalayas of china and Nepal, the original ancient breed of Tibetan mastiff is very very rare to find, the original may only be found in China. If you got $2 million (Rs 20 crore), You can have it, In Nepal, it’s not pure like china has, i don’t think i have seen such gigantic monsters or heard of in Nepal. The image is of an ancient original breed, ie, the blood runs from their ancient family, all those, muscles, hair coat, huge body, mouth, their instincts, DNA or whatever, so it’s absolutely expensive. one mastiff from china was recorded to be 200lbs(90 kg).
They are said to be loyal to the family, reserved to the strangers. Before they were used to protect the human livestock, shepherd’s sheep, ox from wolves and jackals, snow leopard in the Himalayas. You find these mastiff the exact same but in a smaller version in Nepal or. It’s gonna cost you 15–20 thousand Nepali rupees ($200).
Other Quick Facts:
- The Tibetan Mastiff has a long double coat that comes in black, chocolate brown, or slate gray, with or without tan markings, or in various shades of red or gold.
- The Tibetan Mastiff is a primitive breed. Unlike more domesticated dogs, he goes through a heavy shed only once a year.