It has been found that A dog's sense of smell is said to be a thousand times more sensitive than that of humans. Dogs smell receptors is like superman to humans. Dogs has more than 220 million olfactory receptors in its nose, while humans have only 5 million.
Possible Reasons Given Why Dogs Nose Are Wet
This is referred to the naked surface around the nostrils of the nose in most mammals. In actual scientific usage it is typically called a "wet snout" or "wet nose" from its moist and shiny appearance.
Typically just a a fold extending from the nostril to the ventral nasal concha.
This is the external openings into the nasal cavity; nostril.
the vertical groove in the median portion of the upper lip.
Now that we have a bit of appreciation for our canine buddy nose, we can look at some of the possible reasons why dogs noses seems to be wet. Please have an open mind here.
- Since Dogs are covered with air, they are not able to sweat through the skin like a person does. Dog will cool down their body temperature by panting or through their noses by evaporation. It is said that the dogs nose carry some special mucous glands which helps to produce a type of watery fluid which helps speeds up the cooling process. The thing about this cooling down through nose because of furs is that not only dogs have furs. In fact most land animals have furs the last time i checked my pet lion his nose was not wet. OK, i am busted, i don't have a pet lion. But if i had i am sure his nose would not be wet. I honestly don't believe dogs nose are wet because it helps him cool off. (My dog nose is wet even in much cooler temperatures)
Greater Scent detection.
- A dog's sense of smell is Galactic compared to human sense of smell. The dogs wet nose helps it to absorb tiny water droplets which carry scent. This allows the dog to pick up and trail the most miniscule of scents.
Dogs Lick Their Own Noses
- You will see you dog licking his nose periodically, one main reason he licks his nose is to sample the scent detecting mucus that actually is produced by the nose itself. Dogs will also lick their nose if they sense that it as been soiled, so if they are gulping down some dog chow, you will see that food particles are sicked to the moist dogs nose. The dog when finished eating will lick his nose to clean up that sensitive section of his body.
- Dogs sniff any and everything, have you ever heard the term " The Dog's nose knows?" You haven't? Oh well, that's no big deal since a just made that up. Dogs will sniff through moist environment such as grass and soil. Sucking every drop of moister on those special noses like an antenna picking up an alien invasion that is not happening. Even from the common air, the dogs nose will pick up moister.
They Drink With Their Noses
- No that's actually not true, not because you see Bruno dipping his head in that water bowl you believe that his nose sucks up water too. Do you know what drowning means? Well if he drank with his nose he just may have a lung filled with water. Dogs nose sometimes tend to get wet when the gulp up the refreshing water that his lovely owner pours in his water bowl periodically. Then they will sometimes lick their noses again if the water splashed on the nose is too much or will just run along with a watery nose.
That rhymes right? pet, vet. Anyway, many people believe that it is a must for their dogs nose to be wet and if that is not the case it is a sign that the animal is not in the best of health. That my friend is not true. I have spoken with several veterinarians and they have debunked this myth. They will tell you that some dogs just naturally have wetter noses than others. As a matter of fact, a drier nose may be quite healthy in some breeds and pups. So don't panic if you see other dogs around you with wet sloppy noses and your dogs nose is like potato chips. If you want to moisten it just give him a little smooch on his nose. He will love you a little more. Take care my friends.